Friday, October 26, 2012

Sweet Mysteries

Last night I heard a woman tell the story of her life. I sat and listened as she told one tragic detail after another--just when I thought it couldn't get worse, it did. She told us with tears about all kinds of abuse, loss, and difficulty.

And I was struck while she spoke by how little hardship I've experienced in my own life. I can't help but wonder why I have been spared tragedy thus far while she and many others have endured so very much. It seems unbalanced. It looks unfair. Yet, I know that at any moment I may be faced with my own troubles to bear.

She said something during her story that really resonated with me. She said that both the bad and the good in this life sift through God's fingers. And, I know that's true. He is in control. And He knows why things happen. I suppose that should be enough for us--just knowing that He knows.

Because what He does is whatever will bring Him the most glory. So, maybe when we face tragedies of all kinds, we should try to be thankful that we are in a position to shine an especially bright light on our devotion to Him. At a time when the world would expect us to walk away, to curse God, to doubt His love and His goodness. When we are in the hot seat, our faith endures and we bring glory to Him as the world looks to see that He carries us through.

And, as we struggle to find this one way that a bad situation brings Him glory, He sees the many, many other ways. Things that happen on Earth and in the spiritual realm that we will not see or understand until we meet Him face to face. Those things, whatever they are, have brought me comfort during my few dark moments. The unknowns. The mysteries of God's glory. All the time, but maybe especially during hard times, we are a part of those beautiful, glorifying moments.

God is so good, even when life is bad. I want to remember that. I want to live to bring Him glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment