Saturday, October 27, 2012

Dear Heart: Please Hush

Tonight I was telling my English-teacher-turned-administrator mother-in-law about someone's poor grammar. As soon as the words came out of my mouth, she playfully corrected the grammar in my sentence. We laughed about it, but I thought about how often my critiques of people end up making me look foolish.

You would think I would stop criticizing people.

So many times when I open my mouth and speak, I regret it. The Bible tells me that what I say is a true reflection of what's in my heart. So, I should consider my own harsh words about others as a clue that my heart is ailing.

Sure, people drive me crazy sometimes.

Sure, people occasionally wrong me.

Sure, people can be exasperating.

But, I drive people crazy sometimes.

I occasionally wrong people.

I can be exasperating.

Can I expect more grace from others than I am willing to extend myself? My words can be tools that spread the love of Jesus or they can hurt others. It is so obvious to me which one is the better way.

I pray that I will learn to be quiet when I feel complaints about others bubbling up from my heart. Thanks to my awesome mother-in-law for the gentle reminder that I'm not perfect. She is the best.

And her grammar is impeccable.


No comments:

Post a Comment