Monday, May 9, 2011

Leave it to the Pro

I'm a professional mother.

This thought just occured to me the other day. When people ask me what I do, I have a tendency to reply, "I just stay home with the kids." JUST?! Every time that word comes out of my mouth, I scold myself for saying it, yet when I'm asked that question, that little four letter beauty slips out every time.

But now I've had an epiphany. I'm thinking of having business cards printed:

Melissa Edgington
Professional Mother

24/7 service
No mess too big!
No boo boo too small (for a band-aid)!
Call 1-800-SLEEPLESS

Seriously, though. This is what I do. Chad goes to work and gets paid money (praise the Lord!). I live at work. And, while I may not get cash on a regular basis, I do get paid. I compare it to the way a country doctor used to get paid in eggs or quilts. I get paid with hugs, kisses, I love yous, rounds of Candyland, dance parties, dress up, Nick Jr. marathons, smiles, tears, and fascinating conversations. My bosses are short and rather immature. The demand is high. And I love every second of it.

So, the next time someone asks me what I do, my reply will not contain any "justs." I'm going to say, "I'm a professional mother. Here's my card."

No comments:

Post a Comment