Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Heart Said WHAT?

Today I was having lunch with a friend. I was in the middle of a story in which I was seriously questioning the judgment of another mother and basically ridiculing a child when our food arrived and my friend offered to bless it.

I paused in the telling of my story while she prayed. Then she said something that hit me like a freight train. My sweet friend prayed, "May You be glorified by our conversation here today." Ouch. Seriously, double ouch.

Christian friends are a blessing. Now, my friend was in no way trying to redirect our conversation or to let me know that I shouldn't be saying what I was saying. But, God used her simple prayer to remind me that every moment of our conversation matters. And everything I say matters.

I have always struggled with a wild, loose, crazy, often mean, sometimes biting, sometimes downright vicious tongue. I so want to get control of my mouth. And that means I need to give God control of my heart.

"For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of." Matthew 12:34

No comments:

Post a Comment